We’ve now been in our house for just over 8 years. We outgrew it about 4.5 years ago, when Lily was born, but the housing market has not yet rebounded in our city, so here we stay.
A house that has seen this much craziness and chaos over the last 8 years is definitely showing some wear, so Nick and I have decided it’s time to start fixing things up, slapping on new coats of paint, figuring out how to fix our yard, etc. If we’re going to be in this house a while longer, we might as well make it into something we love again! Right?
So you know what I did? I decided the time that my husband was leaving the country for 9 days (he went to England for work) would be an excellent time to go ahead and tackle a bathroom remodel. Cause really, what better time is there than when you’re single parenting 4 crazy children and trying to balance a small business?
Yeah, I’ve lost it.
Know what though? By doing little bits each night, within 6 days the bathroom had totally transformed and I LOVE it! It’s like a whole new bathroom! I waited to post any “after” pictures online until after Nick got home and could see it, and considering he flew in last night and was wowed by the bathroom, I can now share with you!
Huge change, isn’t it?! The best part, is the whole thing cost me about $80 last week. Now, as a disclaimer, the price was a little lower because I was using some leftovers from previous projects…
1. Spray Paint – I found some “brushed nickel” spray paint at the store, and I used that to paint over the ugly gold hardware!
2. Rust-oleum Cabinet Transformation on the vanity and medicine cabinet/mirror – this was one was a “leftovers”, because I had used a small portion of it on some new floor/backgrounds at my photography studio, and it was a color (chocolate) that I knew I’d love in the bathroom. It’s a lot of steps, but the result is gorgeous!
3. Paint – this was another “leftover”… sort of. It’s the same blue color that I used in the boys’ bedroom a couple of years ago, and while I had some left over I didn’t have quite enough for the whole bathroom, so did have to go buy a quart more.
4. Grout Cleaned – the grout in the shower and the floor was getting nasty! While I’d love to replace the flooring altogether (especially considering some of the tiles are cracking), I knew I didn’t have it in me to take that on by myself, so I did the next best thing – a thorough grout cleaning. Gross, but a definite difference maker when it comes to the overall look of the bathroom.
5. Rug and Shower Curtain – these were an IKEA find! The old monkey curtain was in sad, sad shape, and I was all too happy to toss that and the nasty rug.
So there we go – not only did I survive 9 days without my husband, but I also managed to make-over our main bathroom! Now that Nick is back home, we’re going to sit down some night soon and prioritize a list of projects we want to take on, in order to make this a house we love again. Stay tuned – I’m sure this is not the last of the DIY posts!
P.S. Trying to paint behind a toilet is not fun.